A Few Unknown Facts About Bananas
When you think of a banana, you may not give much thought about it. It’s a healthy fruit, right, so what is there to think about? There are actually a few things to keep in mind as the benefits of a banana can change depending on it’s ripeness. Who knew?
Take a listen to my video as I give detail about a little known fact-
As you can see, those that are diabetic, pre diabetic and those that may be on certain heart meds, eating a banana at the optimal ripeness could have an impact on your blood sugar and potassium levels. Not to say that you shouldn’t eat bananas, it is just important to be aware of the changes that happen within the fruit.
Bananas are extremely healthy and delicious and have benefits for digestion, heart health and weight loss. Aside from being very nutritious, they are also a highly convenient snack food.
Nine Health Benefits of Bananas
- Contains many nutrients– Potassium, Vit B6, Vit C, Magnesium and Fiber
- Can Moderate Blood Sugar levels– Resistant starch helps to keep blood sugar low. Keep the glycemic index in mind.
- Improves Digestion– contains fiber and pectin may help avoid cancer.
- Can help with weight loss– a medium banana is only about 105 calories and very filling.
- Can promote heart health– good dietary source of potassium and magnesium, both essential for heart health
- High in Antioxidants– Higher levels are found in ripened bananas which may help reduce damage from free radicals and lower the risk of some diseases
- May improve kidney health– Eating a banana several times a week may reduce the risk of kidney disease by up to 50%
- May have Benefits for Athletes– help relieve muscle cramps caused by exercise. They also provide excellent fuel for endurance exercise
- Can easily be added to your diet-They make a great addition to yogurt, cereal or smoothie. You can even use them instead of sugar in your baking and cooking. As you can see on the cover photo, adding them to a popsicle stick and adding drizzled chocolate and nuts is a fun treat 😉
Check out this informative article about bananas and their nutritional value
I hope you find this information helpful to improving your healthy lifestyle. As a nurse, I am passionate about encouraging others to make changes that improve their health and quality of life. If you need some guidance, please feel free to reach out and lets’ connect ?