The Joys of Aging-Cellulite, Loose Skin and Saggy Bits, Really?
Whether we like it or not, our skin goes through changes as we age. It doesn’t seem fair really especially when we work so hard to combat the loose and saggy parts of our body that need it the most. Yes, thighs, hips and butt comes to mind! Factors such as sun, harsh weather, hormonal changes and bad habits can have a damaging effect but there are things we can do to fight back.
Elasticity starts to decrease as we age and our skin looses its suppleness. Collagen and elastin breakdown which is natural and the dreaded cellulite starts to rear its ugly head. Almost overnight, it seems, our skin can look and feel totally different. For those of us who have experienced menopause, the condition seems to worsen as estrogen is responsible for keeping our skin firm and moist and now our bodies are failing us again ;(
What Can Be Done to Slow Down the Process
- Proper nutrition is key – a diet full of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and lean protein goes a long way to helping revitalize our skin. Vitamins and minerals help to keep the skin resilient.
- Stay away from sugar- refined sugar and refined flours can do a number on your skin.
- Stay hydrated- A good rule of thumb is 1/2 your body weight in ounces. Start the day with the juice of one lemon to help detox the liver.
- My favorite- Exercise 5-7 days a week. Helps to keep muscle toned and tight 😉
- Use sunscreen- It’s never too late to protect your skin from harmful rays and skin cancers. Wear a hat and protective clothing.
- Stop smoking!
- Get restorative sleep.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption. A little wine here and there can’t be all bad 😉
If you’re looking for some more info on cellulite and tools that may help, click here
In the end, an important thing to remember is to have confidence and pride in our bodies. Our skin has protected us, stretched to make room for our babies and miraculously healed itself when we needed it to. If we have to age, lets be the best we can be, inside and out!