Don’t Be Fooled by the Heat
Keeping our bodies hydrated every day is so important to make sure our systems function the way they are suppose to. Add the component of rising temps and humidity to the mix and we need to be extra diligent in assuring that we are drinking as much as we should.
Do you know how much to drink everyday? A good rule of thumb is to take your body weight, divide it in half and consider that the amount of ounces to shoot for. For example, if 160 pounds, one should drink at least 80 ounces of water. When the thermometer rises, I encourage you to push for even more. Would you agree that our bodies need more when its hot?
Tips For Staying Hydrated When the Heat is On
- Drink enough water to prevent thirst- If you feel thirsty, you could already be dehydrated
- Monitor the color of your urine as that can reveal a lot. Check out this graph.
- When exercising, drink before, during and after- Make sure to have a few glasses of water before you start. Supplement with a sports drink that can refuel you with some electrolytes. My go-to is Performance Hydrate which I believe really helps when I am sweating 😉
- Avoid alchohol the day before and after a strenuous exercise program. You may want to skip it all together if you are hungover! Unfortunately, liquors are very dehydrating ;(
- Eat at least five cups of fruits and vegetables per day as they all contain various levels of water and important nutrients such as potassium.
Additional info from the American Heart Association that is worth the read 😉
I hope you find tips like this helpful. If you would like me to connect with you to discuss your goals, I’m happy to set up a time to discuss.
Cheers to a healthy YOU 😉